Trusted For

How to file an employment discrimination claim

Employees and job seekers have the right to protection from unlawful discrimination. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean all employers will always follow the rules. According to a recent report, more than 900,000 discrimination cases were filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission between 2009 and 2018.

If this happens, it’s essential to act quickly. Here in Indiana, workers and job seekers have approximately six months to file a discrimination complaint against an employer with 20 or more employees.

How workers and job seekers can file a complaint

Here are some steps people can take:

  • Contact the EEOC: Those looking to file must submit their claim to the EEOC. They can contact the agency either by phone, mail or online. Those looking to get in touch with their local office can call 1-800-669-4000. Those who are deaf or speech impaired can call 1-800-669-6820.
  • Provide necessary information: Once those filing the complaints get in touch with the EEOC, they must provide specific information to verify their claim. That includes both the victim’s and company’s name, address and phone number. They must also provide information about the incident and give dates and times that the violation occurred.

What can happen after filing a claim

After a claim gets submitted, the EEOC will look into the alleged incident depending on the amount of details and evidence available. In some cases, they may go directly to the employer to examine documents and conduct interviews.

If the employer is found guilty of discriminatory actions, those who filed the complaint could receive compensation. Depending on the circumstances, victims may be able to obtain damages through promotions, hiring, front pay or back pay. In other instances, they could also get payments through court costs or legal fees.

Workplace discrimination is against the law

Employees and job seekers have the right to equal and fair workplace practices. In some instances, the EEOC may not be able to resolve the issue. If that’s the case, it may be time to seek legal counsel. An experienced and diligent employment law attorney can help clients understand their rates and defend their case in court.